Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii)

Play Time ~20min

What Happened:
So I really wasn't planning on writing about this one until I played it a little bit more, since I don't think 20min is thaaat fair to judge a game on - but that's something that I've noticed about myself - if the first 10min doesn't get me, I'm probably not going to keep playing.

I've been hearing people talk about Animal Crossing on and off for awhile - usually it's like "oh yeah, my wife really loved that game. You like, own a house and decorate it and stuff". I didn't play for very long, so I'm not sure yet if there's more to it than that.. but that definitely does seem to be a key element of it: make money, buy things. ;) Also, maybe make friends with villagers? I'm not sure yet.


What I Liked:


Cute! Everything is cute! The villagers are cute! The way they talk is cute! Even the bully character! My house is adorable! I can choose from a lot of different adorable patterns for my wallpaper or clothes! I like this!

Opening sequence! I really enjoyed how the opening sequence was handled - you're on a bus chatting with a chatty guy, and he gets information out of you like your name and if your a girl or boy, and the name of the town. He's so charming and the dialogue is fun. I thought it was clever.

Dialogue & Characters. For the most part, everyone I've spoken to in the village is really fun. They have strong character, they say over the top things (and we've established that I like over the top).


What I Didn't Like:
It didn't grab me! I know, even after all of the positives above... I can say that this game did not captivate me and make me want to come back for more. I didn't get a good sense of what I was going to be doing from the first 20min - so all of the preconceived notions I have from people talking about the game are still there.. and they are (perhaps unfairly) keeping me from picking it up again. Something should have grabbed me by now.

My character! I will never like triangle noses! It's particularly annoying since everything else in the whole game is so adorable that my character is ugly and boring. Boring!!


How Do I Feel About Continuing?:

As stated above, it's not too likely that I'm going to pick this one up again. That being said, as I was typing this I felt an increasing sense of guilt for dismissing it so readily... so maybe I will pick it up again to give it more of a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment