Sunday, January 1, 2012

Plants vs. Zombies (iPad)


Time Played: 3-4 hours??

What Happened: 
I started this entry months ago and never finished it! Let's see what I remember about this game. :) Plants vs. Zombies is a tower defense game - each level, you create and collect sunshine which allows you to buy different types of plants. These plants are used to protect your home from hordes of approaching zombies in different ways - for example, some plants shoot pellets which eventually kill the zombies, some plants shoot pellets that slow them down, or kill them instantly, or serve as a block while the zombies eat them. 

Every few levels you unlock a new type of plant, but you have a limited number of slots when you go into each level, so you can't use all of your plants. Eventually you also unlock more slots to bring more plants into battle. There are also different types of zombies, such as ones with more hit points, or zombies that can vault over your first line of defense. As the game goes on, things get increasingly crazy. 

What I Liked: 

Art. It's visually cool and very easy to read what's going on. 

Mechanics. I guess I haven't really played that many tower defense games, so the basic mechanics are probably pretty standard - but I really enjoyed them. I think this game is easy to learn and fun to play. Things felt polished and well balanced. 

Plants. The selection of plants is awesome! Unlocking each new type of plant was rewarding - and it always made me angry because I wanted to use all of them every time. ;) There's a great deal of personality in each plant. 

Zombies. The differences between zombie types were easy to understand and clever. 


What I Didn't Like:

Easy. Maybe I totally misread the situation, but at some point I started to realize that I never seemed to be in any real danger of actually losing. Sometimes I felt tension when a new wave of zombies was approaching, and I felt like my defenses weren't quite there, but when it came down to it, I never lost. I started to feel invincible... and then I stopped playing. Maybe it gets harder? But I got bored before that happened. 

How Do I Feel About Continuing?:

Well, I started this post back in Oct or so, and I haven't picked the game up since. Once I started to feel like I could never lose, I stopped playing. Now that I have my own iPod Touch I might try and pick it up again though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment